Saturday, August 4, 2012

25 Years Of Fireballs And Dragon Punches

It's hard to believe that the Street Fighter videogame franchise has been around for 25 years.  As long as you didn't grow up in a small village on the outskirts of the world, then you've at least heard of the legendary fighting game series, if not allowed it to have a major impact on your life.  When I was a little boy, I would ride my bike to my friend's house after school to cram in as many rounds of Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES as possible before having to go home and do my homework.  It's been a part of my life ever since.

The iam8bit gallery is celebrating 25 years of Street Fighter with a group art exhibition and pop-up shop in their 4,500 square foot space in Echo Park.  For anyone who has ever played the game, I highly recommend going to view the art and maybe purchase something for that bare wall at home.  The show is open now until August 19th, 2012 with artwork costing anywhere from $25 to $1,500+.  Check iam8bit's website for gallery hours.


Here are some of my favorites from the show.