Monday, March 26, 2012

$5 Tuesdays: "21 Jump Street"

via
It's been a while since I laughed through an entire movie from beginning to end, but I was able to revisit the experience thanks to my latest $5 Tuesday movie: 21 Jump Street, starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.

Before going to the theater to watch 21 Jump Street, I really didn't know what to expect.  The trailer seemed funny, but having known the original "21 Jump Street" television series, starring a very young Johnny Depp, I was scared that it was going to be a bad remake.  Thankfully the filmmakers were smart and created a funny and witty new world that drew inspiration from the original, but still managed to remain unique and fresh.

I'm usually not a fan of Channing Tatum because I don't think he's a particularly good actor and he's often miscast in roles that are way out of his league, but I didn't really mind him in 21 Jump Street mostly because his performance as a bumbling jock was believable; probably because he is one in real life.  As for Jonah Hill, who is actually one of the writers, I've always found him to be funny and this time around it's no different; his "WTF?!" face is as funny as ever.

I really loved the fact that 21 Jump Street was self-aware as it made fun of itself, its origin and the movie industry.  I won't spoil the movie for you with details because you really have to experience the excellent writing for yourself.  You won't find cheap tricks and gags trying to get you to laugh; the humor is all in the dialogue.

Was 21 Jump Street worth $5? Definitely!  It was a fun and hilarious odd-couple/buddy flick that will have you rolling in your seat.

Watch it on the big screen or rent? I'd say watch it on the big screen as there are enough explosions and gun fights to take advantage of the large screen format and monster sound system.

Read up on last week's $5 Tuesday: Project X

Subscribe to this blog on Kindle!