Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First Time's The Charm!

Congratulations to L.A. Graffiti reader Jennifer Lynn on her very first art show!  Jennifer exhibited five examples of her photography at "1st Thursdays", San Pedro's monthly art walk.  Her photographs were received with praise and one art enthusiast even said that it was the best piece of artwork he's ever seen in San Pedro!

I caught up with Jennifer at the art walk and asked how she was feeling about her first show.  She told me that she had no idea what she was doing and there were a few things she wished she had done in regards to the display, but overall, it turned out well.  In my opinion, I would consider that to be a huge success!

Very few people know what they are doing on their first time out; even fewer people pull it off perfectly the first time, so there's nothing to be ashamed of if you don't know what you're doing.  Jennifer learned a great deal from her first art show and now has "show experience" and can apply them to her second art show.  It only gets better from there.

Honestly, I thought her exhibit was perfect.  I really liked how the photos seemed to float effortlessly in the air.  I later found out that Jennifer was planning to hang them on the wall via nails, but the wall wouldn't accept nails so she had to improvise with some fishing wire.  Having the photos float wasn't the original plan at all, but that's the beauty of art!  You just go with the flow!  The only reason I knew it was her first show was because she told me.  I couldn't tell otherwise.

The artist, her work and a red cup.
I want to give kudos to Jennifer for just going out and doing it.  I asked her how she went about getting her art into the show/gallery.  She said that she just talked to someone on Facebook about wanting to show her art and was then directed to the appropriate person, which got things going and before she knew it, she was deciding on which wall  in the gallery to hang her art!  It's really that simple!

I hope Jennifer's story inspires you to create or display your art for fans to enjoy.  The hardest part is starting.  Success begets success, but you can't have success unless you start.

You can see more of Jennifer Lynn's photography on her Facebook page, DoubleVision.

Subscribe to this blog on Kindle!